Welcome to Coventry Peace Song 2020!
Coventry Lord Mayor’s Committee for Peace and Reconciliation, Coventry Music Hub, Coventry Cathedral and SACRE are working together to help schools write songs about peace and/or reconciliation. The competition is open to all Coventry schools from 3 June to 5 July 2019.
The winning song will be selected by a panel of judges including Councillor Linda Bigham, the Lord Mayor of Coventry, and representatives from Coventry Music and Coventry Cathedral. The results will be announced before the summer holidays.
The winning school will be given a free Morning of Music for either Key Stage 1 or Key Stage 2. Coventry Music will also send a professional composer to the winning school to deliver a songwriting workshop in September. Your song will be orchestrated, recorded and given pride of place at a number of high-profile live performances:
- World Premiere (with a live band) @ the winning school
- Mornings of Music @ primary schools all over Coventry
- Big Sing @ the Albany Theatre
- Coventry Music Summer Showcase @ Warwick Arts Centre
- SING! Choir @ Godiva Festival
- Discover the Classics (with a full symphony orchestra) @ Coventry Cathedral
The theme of Mornings of Music 2020 will be Civilisations Throughout History. History is full of stories about conflict, battles and invasions, so we are looking for a finale song to celebrate Coventry’s global place as a City of Peace and Reconciliation, welcoming people of all cultures from all over the world.
You probably already have lots of brilliant ideas, but if you need some inspiration, why not listen to the following. Click the link to hear the song.
- Let there be Peace on Earth (Jill Jackson-Miller / Sy Miller)
- One Love (Bob Marley)
- We’re All in This Together (High School Musical)
- Better is Peace from ‘The Armed Man’ (Karl Jenkins)
- A Little Peace (Nicole)
- The song can be in any musical style you like
- The lyrics must fit the theme of peace and/or reconciliation
- The song can be any length, but we would like to see at least one verse and a chorus
- Submit the lyrics, and an audio/video recording of the children singing the song
- Only one entry per school
- Open to any year group(s) – remember Year 6s will have left by the time the workshop happens
- You can decide how many children are involved with writing the song
- Adults can support songwriting, but the main ideas must come from the children
- The winning school must commit to take part in Mornings of Music 2020
How to take part
Do all the following no later than 5 July 2019.
- Compose a song related to Peace and/or Reconciliation
- Write down the lyrics
- Record somebody singing the song either as a video or audio file
- Register on this site
- You will receive an email with instructions about how to upload your song and lyrics.
- This must be done before the end of 5 July 2019
A panel of judges from Coventry Music, the Lord Mayor’s Committee for Peace and Reconciliation, and Coventry Cathedral will select the best song, and the winner will be announced in the week beginning 15 July.
Everyone registered on this site will be notified of the result.